Do you love grapes as much as most people do?
But then, why wouldn’t you? After all, they are deliciously juicy,
they are easy to pop into your mouth and they are fun to eat!
Which types of grapes are your favorites?
Grapes are actually oval shaped berries that have thin smooth skins coating crunchy flesh that is semi-translucent. They come in a wide range of colors (green, red, black, yellow, pink, purple), sizes and even flavors that are either very sweet or rather tangy. Some grapes have seeds which are, by the way, edible and healthy while others are seedless.
Regardless of which grapes you choose, they all deliver tons of health and nutritional benefits but the darkest (black and purple) ones are most beneficial because they are filled with the following healthful substances:
- FLAVONOIDS. These are antioxidants that fight harmful free radicals and delay the aging process and medical conditions such as cataracts, macular degeneration, heart and cardiovascular disease, cancer, etc. Flavonoids also add the dark colors to grapes.
- RESVERATROL and QUERCETIN. These protect the good (HDL) cholesterol from being damages by free radicals and they also prevent blood clots and platelets from clumping within arteries. Therefore, Resveratrol and Quercetin reduce the risk of heart disease. Resveratol also enhances brain function and suppresses the onset of Alzheimer’s and other neurodegenerative diseases.
- ANTHOCYANINS and PROANTHOCYANIDIS. These have anti-inflammatory and anti-proliferate properties that prevent cancerous growths.
- PTEROSTILBENE. This is a compound that helps lower bad (LDL) cholesterol.
- SAPONIN. This is a substance that is present in the skin of grapes. It binds with ingested cholesterol and prevents its absorption into the blood stream.
- VITAMINS. Grapes are packed with vitamins A, K, C, B6 and FOLATE.
- MINERALS. Grapes are rich sources of many essential minerals such as phosphorus, potassium, iron, calcium, selenium and magnesium.
- FIBER. Grapes are loaded with dietary fiber, especially when ingested with their skins and seeds, and those help with the digestive process.
- PROTEIN. Yes, grapes have protein that contributes to health and wellness.
So, what are some additional health and nutritional benefits provided by grapes?
1. MIGRAINES. Pure grape juice relieves the symptoms of migraines.
2. KIDNEY DISEASE. Grapes decrease the pressure in kidneys by reducing the acidity in uric acid.
3. DYSPEPSIA. Grapes relieve the symptoms of indigestion and stomach irritations.
4. ASTHMA. Studies have shown that grapes provide therapeutic help to asthma patients.
5. ENERGY. Grapes boost energy and relieve fatigue.
6. INFECTIONS. Grapes are filled with antibacterial and antiviral properties that have the power to prevent or cure a wide variety of infections.
Here are some very interesting facts about grapes which you may or may not be aware of:
- Grapes are abundant in America but they are not indigenous to that continent. As a matter of fact, they were introduced by Spanish explorers only about 300 years ago.
- There are well over 8,000 different varieties of grapes around the world.
- In spite of common beliefs that grapes are fattening, one cup of grapes only has 100 calories.
- Grapes seeds are powerhouses filled with antioxidants.
- Two and a half pounds of grapes go into a single bottle of wine.
- Concord grapes were developed in Concord, Massachusetts.
What do you think about this article?
Is it helpful?
Is it informative?
Would you like to see more articles about such issues in the future?
Please click on one of the icons below
and then also leave me a comment!
Filed under: Vegan Health and Wellness
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!